Recipe by Bill Woodward
A nice beef chili with medium heat and a nice smoky flavor. Just won the "Most Unique Chili" award at our Girl Scout Chili Cook off.
- 5 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 poblano peppers
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 14 ounces Mexican tomatoes (tomatoes with chiles)
- 5 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 3 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the beef in three batches.
- While browning the beef, finely chop the onions and poblanos and sweat in olive oil until softened.
- Finely chop the chipotles.
- Place the browned beef, peppers and onions, chopped chipotles, all of the remaining adobo sauce from the can, and rest of the ingredients into a large pot or electric skillet.
- Bring chili to a simmer and simmer for 1-2 hours (I just simmered it until the chili cook off :) ).