A different variation of fried fish. If you like the chipotle taste (and fried fish) you'll love this recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb cod or 1 -1 1/2 lb other white fish
For the batter
- 2 ounces canned chipotle peppers
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups beer (recommended Tecate)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
For the chipotle cream sauce
- 1Cut fish into 1-ounce strips.
- 2To make the batter, puree the chipotles and egg together in a blender.
- 3When well blended transfer to a bowl and whisk in the beer.
- 4In a separate mixing bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- 5Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, whisking well to prevent clumps.
- 6Add freshly ground pepper, mix well.
- 7Set the batter aside while preparing the chipotle cream sauce.
- 8For the chipotle cream sauce, blend all ingredients in a small serving bowl. *Note the amount of sour cream you use depends on the consistency you'd like for your sauce.
- 9To fry the fish, heat a pan of oil, approximately 2 inches deep (peanut or corn is best) to approximately 350 degrees.
- 10With your fingers or tongs, dip the fish strips into the batter mixture completely coating each piece and then carefully place in the hot oil.
- 11Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. With tongs carefully remove the fish to a paper towel. Then repeat. Be sure not to over crowd the pan for even frying. Also, be sure to watch your temperature as it will decrease as you add the fish.
- 12Once completed, plate your fish with the sauce over the top or serve to the side to allow each person to have as much as they would care for.
- 13Serve with your favorite spicy fries or perhaps a salad to keep it lighter.
- 14Depending on how spicy you like your sauce, you may want to finely dice a fresh jalapeno into the mixture as well. Also, if you like cilantro this adds a nice taste to the sauce as well.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle & Beer Battered Fish W/Chipotle Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.5
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 59.9 mg
- Sodium 546.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 11.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: