Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
My beloved father lives alone and is a diabetic and workaholic! In the past few years, I have made it a point to try and bring him a few meals per week that are healthy and filling. I found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens "Our Best Diabetic Recipes" magazine edition. You can add more chile peppers to suit your taste. I always pour in the remainder of the adobo sauce from the can into the pot. I love the radish and jicama added to the pico.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 -2 chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- whole wheat tortilla, warmed
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
Pico De Gallo
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 seeded and finely chopped fresh serrano chili pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled jicama
- 1⁄4 cup thin strips red radish
- Trim fat from meat and cut into 6 pieces.
- In a 4 quart slow cooker, place meat, tomatoes, onion, chipotle peppers, oregano, garlic, cumin and salt.
- Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or high 4-4 1/2 hours.
- Prepare pico de gallo by combining all ingredients and chilling for at least 2 hours.
- After meat has cooked, remove from pot reserving liquid and shred with fork.
- Return to liquid mixture to moisten.
- Using a slotted spoon, line mixture into warm tortillas and top with pico de gallo.