Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Round steak gets a Mexican make-over with the addition of a tasty chipotle marinade that delivers just the right amount of kick.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, cut into 4 pieces
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeds removed and sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon celery seed, crushed slightly
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile, ground (or more, if you like)
- Place beef in bottom on a 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Top beef pieces evenly with the onion rings and green pepper rings.
- In a bowl, mix together the ketchup, water, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, celery seed and ground chipotle chile.
- Pour the sauce over the beef and vegetables, trying to cover beef as much as possible.
- Place baking dish in oven and roast at 350° for 45-60 minutes, or until beef is done and vegetables are soft. If beef dries out during cooking, spoon some of the pan sauce over the beef.
- Serve beef with roasted vegetables on top, and spoon more pan sauce over each serving if you like.
This has promise, but I think it would be better suited to a crock pot The meat was tough, as round steak tends to be, so would greatly benefit from a longer, lower temp. cooking time. Thanks for posting, made for Dining on a Dollar 2013