Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is one of the easiest and tastiest chili recipes I have ever made! With the modern addition of smoked jalapenos (chipotles), the inclusion of black beans and beer, and a stylish drizzle of lime crema, this recipe is a classic -- hot, hearty and filling. Compliments of Bon Appetit.
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1⁄2 cup stout beer or 1⁄2 cup dark beer
- 2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chiles
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- corn tortilla chips
- Heat heavy large pot over high heat.
- Add beef; saute until cooked through, breaking up meat with spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add onions and garlic to same pot; saute until onions are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add chili powder and saute until fragrant, 3 minutes.
- Add beef, broth, tomatoes, stout and chilies.
- Cover partially; simmer until chili is thick, stirring often, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir cornmeal into chili.
- Stir in beans.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Can be made 1 day ahead, cover and chill, rewarm over medium heat.
- Whisk sour cream, lime juice and lime peel in small bowl.
- Season with salt.
- Spoon chili into bowls and spoon lime crema atop chili.
- Serve with chips.