Recipe by dawnie2u
This recipe is an adaptation from my girlfriend Jan's mother, Alice. I bought one of those mega cans of Bush's Baked Beans and diced prosciutto from Sam's Club/Costco, and made two different types of beans with very little extra work. I loved the chipotle version.
- 102 ounces baked beans (Bush's original flavor)
- 2 green peppers (chopped)
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 7 ounces diced prosciutto
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
For the chipotle batch
- 1⁄4 cup pureed chipotle chile in adobo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion, green pepper, and prosciutto in 2 tablespoons olive oil, in a large heavy pot, until the onions and peppers are soft and the prosciutto is browned.
- Add the entire can of beans into a large pot along with remaining. ingredients, except the pureed chipotle.
- Divide the beans evenly between two ovenproof casseroles (I covered two ovenproof mixing bowls with foil).
- I added the pureed chipotle to one of the mixing bowls, then covered them and baked them at 375 degrees for an hour.
- Uncover and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Stir them about halfway through the cooking time, and then again when you uncover them.
- If you so desire, add a little chopped fresh cilantro to the chipotle version.