Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Times are approximate.
Make and share this Chipotle Appetizer Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup chipotle chile in adobo, along with the sauce stems removed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- chopped fresh cilantro, garnish
- To make the sauce, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until they are lightly browned.
- Add the tomato sauce, broth, and the chipotles in adobo sauce.
- Heat the mixture to just under boiling and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place the sauce in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- To make the meatballs, combine the beef, pork, onion, cilantro, bread crumbs, egg, and season with salt and pepper.
- Gently mix, then form into small meatballs.
- Pour a couple of tablespoons of the oil in a heavy saucepan and brown the meatballs.
- Remove and drain.
- Return the sauce to the pan, add the meatballs and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to finish cooking the meat.
- To serve: place in a chafing dish, garnish with the cilantro and serve accompanied with toothpicks.
I made this recipe as written. The sauce was way too hot for us. So then I added 2 more cups of tomato sauce to turn down the heat. Still very hot. Maybe next time I will try it with 1/8 cup of chipotle in adobo sauce. The meat balls are very good! Made for the Bargain Basement Use It or Lose It tag.