Recipe by canarygirl
Don't be put off by the color of the ink! This is one of the best dishes I tried while in Spain, and is well worth the time it takes to prepare. My friend had to convince me to try this one, but once I did, I realized it is one of the finest foods on the face of the Earth!! Try it and see for yourself!
- 2 lbs small squid, cleaned,reserving tentacles and wings
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 medium onions, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 red pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 green pepper, divided
- 2 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 2 packets squid ink
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided,approximate
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 -3 tablespoons breadcrumbs, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- First, prepare filling.
- Chop tentacles, wings, and shrimp.
- Finely mince 1/2 of the quantity of each; onion, garlic, red pepper and green pepper.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a fairly large sauteé pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Sauteé onions, garlic, red and green pepper until soft, then add the tentacles and shrimp and sautee briefly, until just cooked.
- Incorporate 1 cup of tomato sauce, white wine and bread crumbs and cook over low heat until tentacles are tender.
- About 20 minutes or so.
- Now prepare the sauce.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sauteé pan over medium-high heat.
- Sauteé the remaining onion, garlic, red and green peppers until soft.
- Add chopped parsley and remaining tomato sauce.
- Cook about 5-10 minutes until flavors meld a little.
- While this is cooking, dilute the packets of ink with 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- Add diluted ink to sauce, and allow to cook 10 more minutes.
- Pureé sauce and reserve.
- Now prepare the squid.
- Stuff each small squid with the filling, and seal with a toothpick, and dredge in flour.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a fairly large pan over medium heat, and fry the stuffed squid.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve stuffed squid over white rice and with sauce poured over.
- Alternatively, place squid in a round ceramic dish, and pour sauce over to keep warm in the oven.