1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Don't be put off by the color of the ink! This is one of the best dishes I tried while in Spain, and is well worth the time it takes to prepare. My friend had to convince me to try this one, but once I did, I realized it is one of the finest foods on the face of the Earth!! Try it and see for yourself!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs small squid, cleaned,reserving tentacles and wings
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 medium onions, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 red pepper, divided
- 1/2 green pepper, divided
- 2 cups tomato sauce, divided
- 2 packets squid ink
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided,approximate
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 -3 tablespoons breadcrumbs, to taste
- 1First, prepare filling.
- 2Chop tentacles, wings, and shrimp.
- 3Finely mince 1/2 of the quantity of each; onion, garlic, red pepper and green pepper.
- 4Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a fairly large sauteé pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- 5Sauteé onions, garlic, red and green pepper until soft, then add the tentacles and shrimp and sautee briefly, until just cooked.
- 6Incorporate 1 cup of tomato sauce, white wine and bread crumbs and cook over low heat until tentacles are tender.
- 7About 20 minutes or so.
- 8Now prepare the sauce.
- 9Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sauteé pan over medium-high heat.
- 10Sauteé the remaining onion, garlic, red and green peppers until soft.
- 11Add chopped parsley and remaining tomato sauce.
- 12Cook about 5-10 minutes until flavors meld a little.
- 13While this is cooking, dilute the packets of ink with 1-2 tablespoons of water.
- 14Add diluted ink to sauce, and allow to cook 10 more minutes.
- 15Pureé sauce and reserve.
- 16Now prepare the squid.
- 17Stuff each small squid with the filling, and seal with a toothpick, and dredge in flour.
- 18Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a fairly large pan over medium heat, and fry the stuffed squid.
- 19Drain on paper towels.
- 20Serve stuffed squid over white rice and with sauce poured over.
- 21Alternatively, place squid in a round ceramic dish, and pour sauce over to keep warm in the oven.
Browse Our Top Squid Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Squid Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipirones en su tinta (Stuffed Baby Squid in its own ink)
Serving Size: 1 (436 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.3
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 400.5 mg
- Sodium 751.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 31.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: