Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another sugar cake recipe that uses larger pieces (chips) of coconut. My favourite sugar cake.
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups thinly sliced coconut (with brown husk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Boil sugar and water to from a light syrup.
- When bubbles the size of small pearls appear, add coconut and cream of tartar.
- When the coconut mixture leaves the side of the pan easily (No syrup must be running out), remove from the heat and beat with a spoon for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the almond extract and food colouring if desired.
- Drop by spoon onto a greased cookie tray.
This is a great recipe to throw together. I had some left over coconut from easter in the freezer and it was just enough. Made this as a last minute dessert last night and it was terrific. I will make this again, was nice and sweet! Thanks for sharing. ~V
This is extremely addictive lol! I had fresh shaved coconut in my freezer just waiting to use up, not sure if I used 4 cups I really did not measure, I just eye-balled it! this is actually an easy recipe, and you need to have a sweet tooth for this, it is very sweet, great recipe de Roche!...Kitten :)