Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
When I think of lamb, it reminds me of Sheri Lewis and her puppet "Lamb Chop", Ba, Ba! LOL For this recipe you can use de-boned lamb chops (or lamb/beef meat), however, in Asia pork is often used for this dish. This is a fun recipe to make, since the rice sticks/vermicelli noodles magically puff up almost instantly! As a side dish I have added an Asian Peanut Dipping Sauce for each individual portions.
- 354.88-473.18 ml peanut oil
- 48.19 g rice noodles or 48.19 g vermicelli, break up into 4 small portions
- 340.19-453.59 g lamb, cut up into strips/slices (or 6+ lamb chops, de-boned meat)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped up
- 1 small medium hot chili pepper, remove seeds and cut up into small pieces
- 1 small carrot, clean and cut up into long strips
- 113.39 g fresh string bean (Chinese Long Beans as a substitute)
- 6 small white button mushrooms, cut into small pieces
- 2 spring scallions, clean & trim and cut up into long strips
- 14.79 ml rice wine
- 4.92-9.85 ml pure arrowroot flour or 4.92-9.85 ml tapioca flour or 4.92-9.85 ml cornstarch, with
- 29.58 ml chicken stock (or water)
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- 14.79 ml oil
- 14.79 ml pure arrowroot flour or 14.79 ml tapioca flour or 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml light soy sauce
- 4.92 ml curry powder
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 9.85 ml ginger juice (small piece of ginger chopped up and add a little water- use a mini-blender)
ASIAN PEANUT SAUCE
- 14.79 ml tahini paste
- 14.79 ml chunky peanut butter
- 14.79 ml light soy sauce (dark soy sauce optional)
- 14.79 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml sesame oil
- 4.92 ml granulated sugar
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1-2 fresh lime leaves or 7.39 ml lime juice (optional)
- 44.37 ml dry roasted peanuts (1/2 kept whole and 1/2 chopped up)
- 59.14 ml chicken stock
- PREPARATION-MAIN DISH: Mix the marinade in a bowl with the lamb meat and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Par boil the string beans and carrots in a little salt water, remove.
- ASIAN PEANUT SAUCE- In a non-stick pot add all the sauce ingredients except the peanuts.
- Using medium heat stir until smooth (a nice semi-thick consistency, do not boil).
- Add peanuts, stir, remove from heat and keep warm.
- Just prior to service the main dish, put peanut sauce in small individual bowls for dipping.
- MAIN DISH- Put 1- 1 1/2 cups of oil in a wok and bring to a high heat.
- Drop in a tiny piece of the rice sticks into the oil.
- If it puffs up immediately the oil is hot enough.
- Take one portion of the rice sticks, place on a slotted metal spoon and place in the hot oil.
- After it puffs up (about 5 seconds) turn over and fry for a few seconds more (making sure you don't burn the rice sticks) à the rice sticks will turn into a bright white wooly color.
- IMMEDIATELY REMOVE and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Do the same with the balance of the rice sticks.
- Use more paper towels on top and flip over all the rice sticks.
- BE CAREFUL THAT THE OIL DOES NOT SPLATTER.
- KEEP CHILDREN AND ANIMALS AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN.
- Discard the oil.
- On a big platter place the rice sticks around the sides and leave a"well" in the center.
- Use additional paper towels to remove some of the oil on the rice sticks (it is all right if some of the rice sticks break up).
- In a clean wok add some oil, add the garlic, chili and stir fry for about 15-30 seconds.
- Add the carrots, string beans, mushrooms and stir fry until 3/4 cooked; then remove and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the wok, next add the marinated lamb/meat and stir fry until almost done.
- Add the wine and stir fry briefly.
- Next add the vegetables back into the wok and stir briefly.
- Add the arrow root flour/starch to thicken.
- Add the scallions and sesame oil.
- Cook briefly and then remove from heat.
- Place the lamb and vegetables in the center of the platter and drizzle a small amount of the Peanut Sauce on each portion.
- Serve the Asian Peanut Sauce in individual bowls on the side-- along with white rice.