1/1 Photo of Chinese White Rice
This is the perfect recipe for making great rice with individual grains... perfect for making into fried rice the next day as well as enjoying with your choice of toppings today! My mom took a Chinese Cooking class back in the '70's and we've used it to make rice ever since.
My Private Note
- 1(The 2 cups in an arbitrary measurement so that I can get the servings/yield number---this is really more of a method, so you can make as much rice as you need -- just use about half as much rice as you want for a finished product.).
- 2Pour desired amount of rice into a pot with a good fitting lid (rice must cover bottom of pan and should be an inch or more deep, so use the proper sized pot for amount of rice you are cooking).
- 3Cover rice several inches with water.
- 4Stir rice and water with your hand. Water will turn milky (this is the extra starch coming off the rice).
- 5Pour water off the rice using your hand or the lid to keep rice in the pot.
- 6Repeat rinsing and draining two more times. Water should be clear on last rinse.
- 7Cover rice with clean cold water to the depth of your first knuckle with the tip of your pointer finger touching the top of the rice (this will be a bit less than an inch).
- 8Put pot on stove and turn burner to high.
- 9Bring to a boil, uncovered, and continue boiling until tunnels form from the steam coming through the rice - most of the water will no longer be visible. (Looks like someone poked it several times with a drinking straw).
- 10Cover pot with lid and turn stove down to low.
- 11Keep covered and cook for 30 minutes more.
- 12Uncover and fluff up a few grains to test to see if it's done.
- 13If necessary, cover and cook for a few more minutes.
- 14When done, fluff rice with fork and serve.
- 15If you're making fried rice, it's best to use day old rice so put this in the fridge after it has cooled a bit and enjoy it tomorrow!
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese White Rice
Serving Size: 1 (370 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.2
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 6.3 g