Prep 3 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the perfect recipe for making great rice with individual grains... perfect for making into fried rice the next day as well as enjoying with your choice of toppings today! My mom took a Chinese Cooking class back in the '70's and we've used it to make rice ever since.
- (The 2 cups in an arbitrary measurement so that I can get the servings/yield number---this is really more of a method, so you can make as much rice as you need -- just use about half as much rice as you want for a finished product.).
- Pour desired amount of rice into a pot with a good fitting lid (rice must cover bottom of pan and should be an inch or more deep, so use the proper sized pot for amount of rice you are cooking).
- Cover rice several inches with water.
- Stir rice and water with your hand. Water will turn milky (this is the extra starch coming off the rice).
- Pour water off the rice using your hand or the lid to keep rice in the pot.
- Repeat rinsing and draining two more times. Water should be clear on last rinse.
- Cover rice with clean cold water to the depth of your first knuckle with the tip of your pointer finger touching the top of the rice (this will be a bit less than an inch).
- Put pot on stove and turn burner to high.
- Bring to a boil, uncovered, and continue boiling until tunnels form from the steam coming through the rice - most of the water will no longer be visible. (Looks like someone poked it several times with a drinking straw).
- Cover pot with lid and turn stove down to low.
- Keep covered and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Uncover and fluff up a few grains to test to see if it's done.
- If necessary, cover and cook for a few more minutes.
- When done, fluff rice with fork and serve.
- If you're making fried rice, it's best to use day old rice so put this in the fridge after it has cooled a bit and enjoy it tomorrow!
Worst way to make rice . horrible.
Total, gloppy fail. Chinese white rice is not complicated but this recipe is way too free-form. It's downright reckless. I'll use the epicurious recipe next time or just my old fashioned "American" White rice recipe. Sorry AZPARZYC and allypal but skip this one!
Great technique for making plain rice! It came out nice and fluffy and perfectly cooked. It dried up but didn't stick to the bottom or burn. Will be using this method when I need white rice. Made for Spring PAC 2014.