Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 13 hrs
Irene Kuo author. "This cold bean stick dish is one of the most delicious Chinese Vegetarian 'meats'" If you are looking for KFC you are in the wrong place. If you want something to taste just like chicken I would suggest going and buying chicken. That being said the dish is delightful in its own right not as a 'I gotta have some chicken' dish.
- 1. Bean sticks are usually sold in 1 pound packages. Take half. Break into several sections. Place in bowl, sprinkle soda over them and cover with 8 cups hot water. When they begin to whiten and float to top anchor down with small plate and let soak for 4 hours.
- Drain sticks in colander. Rinse with warm water. Put back in bowl and cover with warm water and anchor. Let soak 4 hours [or overnight].
- Drain just before cooking. Spray with warm water and press lightly to extract excess water.
- Heat wok or skillet over high heat until hot. Add oil, swirl and heat for 30 seconds. Scatter in bean sticks and stir rapidly to coat. Add soy sauces, salt and sguar and stir briskly for 30 seconds. Turn heat low, cover and let steam cook vigorously for 10 minutes. They should release enough liquid to prevent scorching.
- Uncover, stir in sesame oil and pour into bowl. Let cool.