Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This piquant tomato soup is so easy to make, is a very pretty appetizer soup for a party with the shrimp added.
- 1 tablespoon chili oil (I use olive oil with 1/4 tsp chili powder)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (used less than 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup (I also added 1/2 can tomato bits for texture or use a soup with tomato bits in it)
- 1⁄4 lb cooked and peeled shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut, drained
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- salt, if needed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until onions are clear.
- Stir in the garlic (powder) and mix well.
- If using garlic, cook until garlic starts to brown.
- Pour the soup plus 1 can water over the onions.
- Add the shrimp, water chestnuts, green onions and pepper.
- Heat throroughly then add the frozen peas and heat through.
- Season to taste with the salt if needed.
- Ladle into soup bowl and garnish with chopped cilantro.