Recipe by Barb G.
This is a different kind of taco, low carb and healthy. The recipe comes from a local TV channel.
Top Review by HeatherN
Loved this!! Fantastic flavor! I used ground pork and dried cilantro. I'm not a cilantro fan, so I just added some to the meat mixture whilst it cooked and didn't add any extra for a garnish. I bought a jalepeno for this, but whilst cleaning out the spice cupboard looking for the Chinese 5-Spice (I'm the Imelda Marcos of spices - hehe) I found some those dried red chilies they use in Chinese restaurants...so I used a couple of those instead. I also used liquid stevia instead of sugar, it's supposed to be actually good for you...
I'm curious though, what would you serve as a low carb side dish with this recipe?
- 1 lb uncooked skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons diced mild chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 5 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste (tabasco)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- chinese five-spice seasoning (optional)
- 1 head lettuce or 10 large lettuce leaves
- 4 -5 chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all Ingredients, Except sesame oil& FIXINGS; let marinate one hour or overnight, saute in the 1 tablespoon sesame oil for 8 to 10 minutes add chinese 5 spice if desired.
- Fixings: to assemble tacos, wash and pat dry lettuce leaves; Place chicken mixture into individual lettuce leaves to form a lettuce taco shell; fill with garnish of peanuts onions and cilantro.