Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a different kind of taco, low carb and healthy. The recipe comes from a local TV channel.
- 1 lb uncooked skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons diced mild chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 5 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste (tabasco)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- chinese five-spice seasoning (optional)
- 1 head lettuce or 10 large lettuce leaves
- 4 -5 chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- Combine all Ingredients, Except sesame oil& FIXINGS; let marinate one hour or overnight, saute in the 1 tablespoon sesame oil for 8 to 10 minutes add chinese 5 spice if desired.
- Fixings: to assemble tacos, wash and pat dry lettuce leaves; Place chicken mixture into individual lettuce leaves to form a lettuce taco shell; fill with garnish of peanuts onions and cilantro.
Loved this!! Fantastic flavor! I used ground pork and dried cilantro. I'm not a cilantro fan, so I just added some to the meat mixture whilst it cooked and didn't add any extra for a garnish. I bought a jalepeno for this, but whilst cleaning out the spice cupboard looking for the Chinese 5-Spice (I'm the Imelda Marcos of spices - hehe) I found some those dried red chilies they use in Chinese restaurants...so I used a couple of those instead. I also used liquid stevia instead of sugar, it's supposed to be actually good for you...
I'm curious though, what would you serve as a low carb side dish with this recipe?
this is a good recipe and my picky husband liked it alot even though he hates cilantro. I probably would cut back on the cilantro and I love it, but it overpowers the other spices. We used ground turkey though, so maybe it works well with pork in this amt. It is alot of work for what you get - I'll probably be lazy and buy the chicken lettuce wraps filler next time....but the flavor was really good.
Yumm! This recipe was easy to make and the flavor was unbelievable!! I used ground pork instead, 1 lrg. serrano chili for the xtra kick of spice, and 1 tblspn of sea salt instead of five spice. End result...mouth watering! Can't wait to make salad a with leftovers!!