Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious sweet soup served as a snack and brain booster in China.A classic Cantonese recipe you must try!Brown candy is a type of Chinese brown sugarthat can easily be found in most Asian markets in Packets of 4-6 slabs.From The Wisdom Of The Chinese KItchen By Grace Young.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.Meanwhile bring 1 quart of water to boil over high heat.Add the walnuts and boil for i minute.This helps leach out any bitter flavors from the tannins naturally present in the skin.
- Drain the walnuts very well,discarding water,and allow to air dry about 5 minutes.Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes or until golden.Remove from the oven and cool.
- In a food processor ,grind the walnuts with 1/2 cup cold water.Add another 1/2 cup of water and blend until almost smooth.
- Whisk together the rice flour with 1 cup water until smooth.Add another 2 1/2 cups of water and the walnut puree.Bring to a boil over medium high heat,whisking constantly so no lumps form.
- Cut the sugar into chunks or crush with a hammer and add to the. soup.Reduce the heat to low and simmer,stirring occasionally ,until all the sugar has dissolved,about 10 minutes.
- If the soup is very thick you may add an additional 1/2 cup water.
- Serve hot,1 1/2 cup per person.