Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This is a wonderful dessert that you can serve hot or cold. Amazingly fresh, perfect for summer. And it's very versatile. You can use mung beans, white beans instead of red beans.
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup red beans (soaked in cold water overnight)
- 1⁄3 cup dried lotus seeds (at asian grocery stores or health food stores, soaked in cold water overnight)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup pearl tapioca (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup glutten rice balls (can be found at asian grocery stores) (optional)
- 7 cups water
- Combine water and beans in a large pot, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cook uncovered till beans are tender (about 2 hours?).
- Add lotus seed and sugar (plus tapioca and rice balls if you choose to), cook until soup thickens a little and lotus seeds are tender, but not mushy (20 minutes).
- Add vanilla, serve hot for a perfect winter dessert, or you can let the soup cool down, then add ice.
- With this basic recipe, you can take out all the beans, increase the amount of lotus seeds and have a lotus seeds sweet soup instead.