Recipe by Nolita_Food
This is a wonderful dessert that you can serve hot or cold. Amazingly fresh, perfect for summer. And it's very versatile. You can use mung beans, white beans instead of red beans.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
My photo looks a little different from the recipe because I used lily bulbs instead of lotus seeds. I used one 12 pkg azuki beans and then added in the lily bulbs and 6 oz rock candy in Step #3. It is delicious but I enjoy it more as a breakfast (similar to a sweet oatmeal) than a dessert.
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup red beans (soaked in cold water overnight)
- 1⁄3 cup dried lotus seeds (at asian grocery stores or health food stores, soaked in cold water overnight)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup pearl tapioca (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup glutten rice balls (can be found at asian grocery stores) (optional)
- 7 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water and beans in a large pot, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cook uncovered till beans are tender (about 2 hours?).
- Add lotus seed and sugar (plus tapioca and rice balls if you choose to), cook until soup thickens a little and lotus seeds are tender, but not mushy (20 minutes).
- Add vanilla, serve hot for a perfect winter dessert, or you can let the soup cool down, then add ice.
- With this basic recipe, you can take out all the beans, increase the amount of lotus seeds and have a lotus seeds sweet soup instead.