Recipe by BeachGirl
When dining at a "family-style" Chinese restaurant in San Francisco's China Town, I tasted the absolute BEST Sweet and Sour sauce. After many attempts to re-create that special taste, I finally captured it! This can be used for Sweet and Sour chicken, pork or shrimp. It is also a good dipping sauce for Wontons. It has a very festive red-orange color.
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar (1/4 cup + 2 tbs)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cornstarch and water.
- Set aside.
- In saucepan heat all remaining ingredients until sugar is dissolved and liquid is hot.
- Slowly add the cornstarch and water mixture, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve warm or room temperature.