Recipe by Seebee
Definitely a comfort food, this can be the main course with rice rather than just a 'sauce' to put over the rice! If you're desperate and without cashew or sesame butter, try experimenting with tahini and/or peanut butter. Note: I have no idea how long it takes to chop the vegetables, and I realize the minutes don't add up to the total cook time. What can I say, I'm slow...but I sure can cook!
Top Review by PinkCherryBlossom
I really, really enjoyed this. It's not a dish that will wow the palette or impress at a dinner party but it is good honest comfort food. I browned my tofu seperately as I like it really brown on the outside and I also let my sauce cook down as when I added the corn flour it thickened up to a soup consistency and I like my Sauce to be thicker and "stick" to the food. Apart from that I enjoyed the dish very much and will be making again!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 small red bell peppers, minced or cut into small bite size pieces
- 5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, the whites thinly sliced and greens cut into 2 inch lengths
- 16 ounces tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons red miso, creamed with
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon smooth cashew butter or 1 tablespoon tahini sesame butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a wok (or skillet/deep pan).
- Saute gingerroot, garlic, and red peppers for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and onion whites and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Add onion greens and tofu cubes and saute for a minute or so.
- Combine the miso, soy sauce, honey, cashew butter, and vinegar in a bowl or small glass, mixing well.
- Pour this mixture into the wok.
- Let it simmer for about a minute while stirring the sauce into the tofu and vegetables.
- Stir in the dissolved cornstarch, letting it simmer until it thickens.
- Serve hot with rice.