Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Fast, light and full of flavour, great entree or a light lunch. Always a hit with dinner guests. For a chicken version, use chicken stock and 1 sliced cooked chicken breast instead of the prawns.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons cornflour
- 4 cups fish stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 250 g small green shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup thinly sliced shredded Chinese cabbage
- 2 thinly sliced shallots
- 1 (225 g) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 125 g snow peas, trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- In a small bowl, blend water smoothly with cornflour.
- Set aside.
- In a large pan, combine stock, carrot and soy sauce.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cabbage, shallots and water chestnuts to stock mixture, cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in cornflour mixtue, snow peas and sesame oil.
- Cook stirring continuously, until soup boils and thickens slightly.
- Ladle soup into 4 serving bowls.
- Serve immediately.