1/3 Photos of Chinese-Style Orange-Almond Chicken
bluemoon downunder's Note:
I have posted this delicious-sounding way to cook chicken – which you can have on the table in forty minutes - in response to a Forum Request for a recipe for Chinese-style Orange Chicken. I have adapted it from Lisa Pettit’s recipe in Prevention Healthy Cooking's 'Eat Up, Slim Down: Tried-and-true recipes and tips from real weight-loss winners' by Jane Kirby and David Joachim. Commenting on this recipe, Lisa says “When I’m craving Chinese-style sweet-and-sour chicken but don’t want the calories or fat, I turn to this recipe”. If you want to increase the orange flavour, substitute some of the soy sauce for orange juice: perhaps half soy sauce and half orange juice. This is a combination that I know works well in my Veal With Orange Sauce Veal With Orange Sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the almonds in a large non-stick pan and, shaking the pan often, toast over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Set aside.
- 2Warm the oil in the same pan over a medium-high heat, add the chicken and, turning occasionally, cook for 5 minutes or until it is cooked through. Set aside, and keep warm by covering loosely with foil.
- 3Add the shallots to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until they have softened.
- 4Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until they have softened.
- 5Stir in the marmalade, soy sauce and freshly ground black pepper, and return the chicken to the pan.
- 6Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the juices run clear.
- 7Serve over a bed of steamed rice, topped with the almonds and orange slices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese-Style Orange-Almond Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.0
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 907.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 29.0 g