Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
A fillet of lightly cured salmon hinting of ginger, coriander, and Szechwan peppercorn. Cured salmon is surprisingly easy to make! A piece of plastic wrap and a few day's patience is all that's required. Adapted from the China Moon Cookbook. Cooking time is marinating time.
- Place the salmon fillet, skin side down, on a rimmed baking sheet(if aluminum, line with plastic wrap) or large flat platter.
- Combine the sugar, pepper-salt, and black pepper, and sprinkle evenly over the fish.
- Scatter the ginger julienne and cilantro evenly on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Place another baking sheet over the salmon. weight it down with a 3-5 pound weight.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, or for better flavor, up to 3 days.
- Every 8-10 hours, drain off any liquid that collects in the bottom of the pan.
- To serve, discard the ginger and cilantro.
- Slice the gravlax very thinly on the diagonal with a long and thin bladed sharp knife.