Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
April's family recipe from her family in Phillipines.
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Bring water to boil in a small saucepan; stir in instant rice.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a skillet, melt butter and lightly cook egg.
- Add onion and rice and saute, stirring, over medium heat until mixture is slightly browned.
- Mix water with soy sauce and stir into rice.
- Cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Serves 4.
Made it twice already, almost like take out, very good!
I made this and served it with a Japanese chicken. The family loved it. I did not have any instant rice, but used Jasmati rice prepared as the jar directed. The Jasmati is a long grained rice. As I made it, I felt it needed another egg. The long grained plumper rice could very well explain this. With the rice I used, it had a slight hint of nuttyness. I will definitly make it again with instant rice and rereview if warranted.