Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A tasty appetizer or starter for any Asian meal or as an anytime snack or lunch dish. I found this recipe on an International Masters '1001 recipes for pan or wok' card. I have not yet made this but I'd leave out the chilli. Adjust the amount of chili to suit your taste preferences. Serve with plum or sweet chili sauce, and if being served as an appetizer, follow this dish with a stir-fry.
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 spring onions
- 1 red chile
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 3 tablespoons plum sauce
- 4 slices white bread, thick slices, preferably a few days old
- 25 g sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, to shallow fry
- salad leaves, to serve
- Cut the chicken into small pieces, peel and chop the garlic, trim and finely chop the spring onions and deseed and finely chop the chilli.
- In a food processor, process the chicken, garlic, chili, egg, five spice powder a 1 tablespoon of the plum sauce until it has formed a coarse paste. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and add the spring onions, stirring until they have been well-combined with the rest of the ingredients.
- Spread equal amounts of the chicken mixture over each slice of bread, sprinkle with sesame seeds and then press down gently with your fingers.
- Cut each bread slice diagonally into quarters.
- Heat the oil in a pan, preferably non-stick, until it is really hot, then add the toasts and shallow-fry them in batches for 5 minutes per batch, or until golden brown. Drain them on paper kitchen towels, brush with the remaining plum sauce and garnish with salad leaves.
- Notes: If you want to make your own Plum Sauce, I recommend Rita L's Asian Plum Sauce Recipe #99500, or you can buy plum sauce in supermarkets. Drier bread will give the toasts a crunchier texture.
I tagged this for zaar tag. This was good. I liked the plum sauce on these. I didn't use spring onions cause my family doesn't care for them. Thees were great for a light lunch. Would be good for appetizer Thanks for posting Karen