Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I like this because all of the other chestnut cake cal for whipped cream, and this only uses it as decoration so I can leave it off if I want to. The chestnut filling is my favourite part!!!
- 1⁄3 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 lb chestnuts, shelled and peeled
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water (preferably water used in cooking chestnuts)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 7" round baking pan and dust lightly with flour.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Beat egg yolks lightly and fold into egg white. Blend well.
- Sift together flour and salt. Add 1/3 flour mixture to egg mixture and mix well using light, swift actions. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Add vanilla essence. Add melted butter and blend quickly.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 25 minute.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack.
- Filling:Place chestnuts in a saucepan and add enough water to cover them. Cook until soft. Drain, reserving the water.
- Mash chestnuts.
- Use 1/2 cup chestnut water or plain water to cook sugar. Then add butter, vanilla essence and milk to this.
- Add sugar and milk mixture to chestnuts and mix well.
- Slice sponge cake into two layers.
- Force chestnut filling through a potato masher and pile the strands of chestnut onto one cake. Place the other half over the chestnut filling, and pile the remaining chestnut filing on top of this.
- Cover with whipped cream. (I normally just sandwich all the filling between the two layers and serve decorated with dusted icing sugar, chocolate curls and some extra chestnuts.