melting pot's Note:
I like this because all of the other chestnut cake cal for whipped cream, and this only uses it as decoration so I can leave it off if I want to. The chestnut filling is my favourite part!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 7" round baking pan and dust lightly with flour.
- 2Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 3Beat egg yolks lightly and fold into egg white. Blend well.
- 4Sift together flour and salt. Add 1/3 flour mixture to egg mixture and mix well using light, swift actions. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- 5Add vanilla essence. Add melted butter and blend quickly.
- 6Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 25 minute.
- 7Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack.
- 8Filling:Place chestnuts in a saucepan and add enough water to cover them. Cook until soft. Drain, reserving the water.
- 9Mash chestnuts.
- 10Use 1/2 cup chestnut water or plain water to cook sugar. Then add butter, vanilla essence and milk to this.
- 11Add sugar and milk mixture to chestnuts and mix well.
- 12Slice sponge cake into two layers.
- 13Force chestnut filling through a potato masher and pile the strands of chestnut onto one cake. Place the other half over the chestnut filling, and pile the remaining chestnut filing on top of this.
- 14Cover with whipped cream. (I normally just sandwich all the filling between the two layers and serve decorated with dusted icing sugar, chocolate curls and some extra chestnuts.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese-Style Chestnut Filled Cake
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.5
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 119.1 mg
- Sodium 122.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 28.0 g
- Protein 5.4 g