Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Thin steak portions are first marinated and then quickly cooked in a hot wok before being tossed with a tasty sauce and onions. Original version is for beef steaks but I have made this with kangaroo steak and the result was delicious. Don't be fooled by the long list of ingredients - this is an easy and quick dish. Preparation time includes marinating time.
- 500 g thin rump steak or 500 g kangaroo steaks
- 2 medium onions
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark soya sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketjap manis
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Have steaks sliced 1/2 inch thin.
- Lightly pound both sides of the meat and cut into pieces slightly larger than the size of your hand.
- Place meat in shallow dish for marinating.
- Mix marinade ingredients together and pour over meat ensuring it is well coated.
- Set aside for at least one hour.
- Cut peeled onion into small wedges.
- Combine sauce ingredients in small bowl.
- Heat 3 dessertspoons oil in wok and stir fry onion until transparent, transfer to dish and keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in wok and place steaks flat on base - do not stir fry but leave until browned and then turn them to brown on other side (1 to 11/2 minutes each side depending on thickness). Avoid crowding the wok - steak can be cooked in batches and kept warm with onions.
- Once all meat has been cooked, drain off excess oil and add back steak pieces with the previously combined sauce ingredients and cook until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add back onions and stir to combine.
- Serve with braised vegies and boiled rice.