1/2 Photos of Chinese Steamed Sponge Cake (Perfect for Strawberry Shortcake)
Garden Gate Kate's Note:
Delicious Chinese version of an Angel Food Cake. This cake is moist, fluffy, low in sugar, and easy to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
STRAWBERRY TOPPING (OPTIONAL)
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries, halves thawed or 3 (10 ounce) packages fresh strawberries, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 teaspoons cornstarch
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM (OPTIONAL)
- 1SPONGE CAKE: Sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- 2Melt the shortening in a double boiler. Stir in oil and allow to cool.
- 3Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is thick and foamy Stir in the milk and oil. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Gently stir flour mixture into the egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 4Pour into a greased 9 inch round cake tin, and spread evenly across tin with back of spoon.
- 5Place cake tin into a steamer and cover. If you do not have a steamer, you can place the cake tin on top of a vegetable steaming rack, a cookie cooling rack, or criss cross several large spoons in the bottom of a large pot. I place my cake tin on top of a cookie cooling rack in the bottom of a large pot filled with a half inch of water, and this works fine.
- 6Cover with a lid and steam for 25 minutes. When removing the lid, do not allow the condensation from the lid to drip on the cake. The top of the cake may be moist in the center from the condensation dripping from the lid while cooking. This is fine and the center of the cake will air dry once you remove the cake from the steamer.
- 7Carefully remove cake tin from steamer. Remove the cake from the tin while it is still hot to a plate. Cut into 6 to 8 wedges and serve hot or cold. Can be eaten by itself or topped with Strawberry Topping and Sweetened Whipped Cream.
- 8STRAWBERRY TOPPING: To make Strawberry Topping, drain strawberries, reserving 3/4 cup strawberry juice.
- 9In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in reserved strawberry juice.
- 10Over medium heat, bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil for 1 minute.
- 11Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Stir in strawberries. Cool completely. Makes 3 cups.
- 12SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM: To make Sweetened Whipped Cream, beat heavy whipping cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in chilled bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Makes 4 cups.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Steamed Sponge Cake (Perfect for Strawberry Shortcake)
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 559.5
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 287.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 8.5 g