Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious Chinese version of an Angel Food Cake. This cake is moist, fluffy, low in sugar, and easy to make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
STRAWBERRY TOPPING (OPTIONAL)
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries, halves thawed or 3 (10 ounce) packages fresh strawberries, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 teaspoons cornstarch
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM (OPTIONAL)
- 16 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- SPONGE CAKE: Sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Melt the shortening in a double boiler. Stir in oil and allow to cool.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is thick and foamy Stir in the milk and oil. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Gently stir flour mixture into the egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 9 inch round cake tin, and spread evenly across tin with back of spoon.
- Place cake tin into a steamer and cover. If you do not have a steamer, you can place the cake tin on top of a vegetable steaming rack, a cookie cooling rack, or criss cross several large spoons in the bottom of a large pot. I place my cake tin on top of a cookie cooling rack in the bottom of a large pot filled with a half inch of water, and this works fine.
- Cover with a lid and steam for 25 minutes. When removing the lid, do not allow the condensation from the lid to drip on the cake. The top of the cake may be moist in the center from the condensation dripping from the lid while cooking. This is fine and the center of the cake will air dry once you remove the cake from the steamer.
- Carefully remove cake tin from steamer. Remove the cake from the tin while it is still hot to a plate. Cut into 6 to 8 wedges and serve hot or cold. Can be eaten by itself or topped with Strawberry Topping and Sweetened Whipped Cream.
- STRAWBERRY TOPPING: To make Strawberry Topping, drain strawberries, reserving 3/4 cup strawberry juice.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in reserved strawberry juice.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and cool slightly. Stir in strawberries. Cool completely. Makes 3 cups.
- SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM: To make Sweetened Whipped Cream, beat heavy whipping cream and 2 tablespoons sugar in chilled bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Makes 4 cups.