Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from some of my partying friends in San Francisco, California.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 fresno chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon guilin chili sauce (Lee Kum Kee brand)
- 1⁄4 cup shaoxing wine or 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 2 lbs mussels, washed and de-bearded
- 2 cups chinese beer (Tsingtao, Snow, or Harbin)
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 spring onions, chopped (whites separated and greens reserved for garnish)
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the wok over high heat and add the peanut oil. Add the garlic, ginger, chiles and rice wine and stir-fry for less than 1 minute. Add the mussels and stir-fry for less than 1 minute.
- Add the Chinese beer and the whites of the spring onions and cook until the mussels open, stirring occasionally. Discard any that do not open. Season the mussels with the light soy sauce.
- Sprinkle in the greens of the spring onions and the cilantro, serve immediately.