Recipe by Olha
Spring roll skins are also known as Shanghai-type spring roll skins and are available in some Asian markets. Lumpia skins, available in Philippine markets, may be substituted. Egg roll skins may also be substituted, but they are much thicker and not as nice as homemade spring roll skins.
SPRING ROLL SKINS
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups water, approximately
- vegetable oil
SPRING ROLL FILLING
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thinly on diagonal
- 1 lb mung bean sprouts
- 3⁄4 cup matchstick-cut bamboo shoot
- 1⁄4 cup matchstick-cut water chestnut
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 lb flaked crabmeat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- peanut oil (for deep frying)
- Chinese mustard
- chili oil
- soy sauce
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE FILLING: Heat peanut oil in wok or skillet and stir-fry celery, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, soy and sugar 2 minutes.
- Stir in crab and remove from heat.
- Pour off any juices and add sesame oil, green onion, cornstarch and egg slivers.
- Cool and place 3 tablespoons of mixture on edge of spring roll skin.
- Place a coriander sprig on top and fold skin over twice.
- Then fold in sides and roll like jelly roll.
- Deep-fry, seam side down, in hot oil until crisp and golden.
- Drain, cut into 1-inch slices and serve immediately with mustard, chili oil and soy.
- Yield: approximately 18 spring rolls.
- EGG SLIVERS: Divide this recipe in half using only 2 eggs. Combine eggs, water and salt.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, add half the peanut oil and pour in half the egg mixture, tilting pan to coat surface.
- Cook until eggs are just set, moist but not runny.
- Bottom should be slightly golden.
- Turn out onto board and repeat with remaining oil and egg mixture.
- Let cool, roll and slice into slivers.
- SPRING ROLL SKINS: Sift flour and salt into mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and enough water to make a smooth, thin batter similar to crepe batter.
- Always beat batter in ONE DIRECTION to gain elasticity.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Lightly oil a 6-inch skillet or crepe pan and heat over low heat.
- Beat batter in same direction and pour 2 tablespoons into pan, tilting pan to cover entire surface with batter.
- Cook until set.
- Pancake should be sheer and pliable.
- When it shrinks away slightly from the edges, turn over and cook other side just to set.
- Remove to flat dish, cover with slightly dampened tea towel and repeat with remaining batter, oiling pan as necessary and being sure to stir in one direction each time.
- Yield: approximately 18 spring roll skins.
- Regional Cooking Of China.