1/1 Photo of Chinese Sponge Cake (Baked, Not Steamed)
1 hr 30 mins
My mom used to make this cake when we we were growing up. I love it because it's light and fluffy. Please note, use an aluminum cake pan for this recipe (we've always used an aluminum angel food cake pan). Do NOT use a non-stick pan! I am on a quest to find the recipe for the Chinese bakery cakes. I'm not talking about those Chinese steamed sponge cakes. I'm in search of the fluffy ones that come with the fruit and whipped creamy frosting. If anyone knows this recipe, please forward to me--I will be forever grateful! In the meantime, this cake is the closest thing to it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat water and dissolve sugar. Let cool.
- 2Mix yolk into sugar water.
- 3Slowly add flour into the mixture.
- 4Blend in oil and extract.
- 5In a large bowl, beat egg whites until peaks are stiff. Add cream of tartar.
- 6Fold batter from above into egg whites.
- 7Pour combined batter into an UNGREASED aluminum cake pan (do NOT use a non-stick pan!).
- 8Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes until done (when toothpick comes out clean).
- 9Turn cake upside down and let cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Sponge Cake (Baked, Not Steamed)
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 619.8
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 282.0 mg
- Sodium 95.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 50.6 g
- Protein 12.1 g