My mom used to make this cake when we we were growing up. I love it because it's light and fluffy. Please note, use an aluminum cake pan for this recipe (we've always used an aluminum angel food cake pan). Do NOT use a non-stick pan! I am on a quest to find the recipe for the Chinese bakery cakes. I'm not talking about those Chinese steamed sponge cakes. I'm in search of the fluffy ones that come with the fruit and whipped creamy frosting. If anyone knows this recipe, please forward to me--I will be forever grateful! In the meantime, this cake is the closest thing to it.
- Heat water and dissolve sugar. Let cool.
- Mix yolk into sugar water.
- Slowly add flour into the mixture.
- Blend in oil and extract.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until peaks are stiff. Add cream of tartar.
- Fold batter from above into egg whites.
- Pour combined batter into an UNGREASED aluminum cake pan (do NOT use a non-stick pan!).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes until done (when toothpick comes out clean).
- Turn cake upside down and let cool.