Recipe by Valerie in Florida
From OregonLive.com. I loved the beef lettuce wraps from a restaurant in Montauk, NY called East by Northeast. This was the closest I have found to recreating it with a few minor adjustments from me.
Top Review by Garlic Chick
Good! I've made these twice so far. I think that using ground beef makes it really easy. The first time I used ground bison meat. Once I used bamboo shoots instead of the water chestnuts because that's what I had on hand. I agree with another reviewer who said these really need the dipping sauce to make them fabulous. I made my dipping sauce similar to the one listed by using hoisin sauce, sriracha, lime juice, a touch of sugar and enough water to thin. A keeper, Valerie in Florida, thanks so much for posting!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon thai chili paste (sambal oelek)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 bunch green onion, white parts chopped green parts cut on bias in 1/4-inch lengths (divided)
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded, deveined and minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 heads bibb lettuce or 2 heads butter lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray large, heavy skillet with nonstick cooking spray. In skillet set over medium-high heat, brown ground beef; drain if necessary.
- Add garlic, sherry, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili paste, five-spice powder, white part of green onions, water chestnuts and minced chile. Turn down heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add cornstarch-water mixture to beef mixture and stir until it thickens slightly. Add green part of green onions and cook just until heated through (onion tops will lose their bright green color if cooked too long).
- Separate lettuce leaves, wash and pat dry. Arrange lettuce cups on platter and serve alongside beef mixture.
- Serve with my Sweet Soy Dipping Sauce (#144178) A must-have for the lettuce wraps !