Recipe by MooseCall
This is my twist on one of my childhood favorite in a local restaurant back in Taiwan. For a long time, I've tried to imitate the recipe but never quite got it - until I replace mayonnaise with whipped egg whites for binding the pancake together. Yum! The original version also had water chestnut, which I hate and have eliminated 8). My friend says that this goes very well with a tossed purple onion salad and drizzle with hot pepper sauce. Enjoy!
Top Review by Bergy
Excellent golden appearance. A bit bland for my taste next time I will add on small hot pepper - I think most will think it is just right. Don't skimp on the Cilantro. I was a bit worried when I mixed it together and wondered if it would hang together don't worry it does - takes about 8 min on each side medium heat. I was cautious flipping it over and used a plate as suggested.. The ketchup sugar sauce sounded a bit sweet to me so I served it with a Pad Thai Sauce. I will be making this recipe again thanks Connie Lin
- 1 cup raw shrimp, deveined
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 250 g imitation crabmeat
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, minced
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Whip the egg white until stiff.
- Cut the imitation crab meat into little strips lengthwise than.
- Use the back of your knife to"flatten" the shrimp then mince.
- Mix all the ingredients for the panckae until they bind well (you can adjust the consistency with some cornstarch or more egg whites).
- Heat your wok.
- Spray with cooking spray and some peanut oil in the wok (make sure you use enough oil or the pancake won't be crispy! I use about 2 tbsp).
- In the med-high temp wok, put all the pancake mixture into the wok and use the back of a big spoon, flatten the mixture on the wok.
- When you can start to smell the yummy pancake cake, flip and cook the other side until done (I never learn how to just "toss" the pancake, so I slide it on another plate and then flip it).
- Cut the pancake into finger-food size.
- Garnish with more cilantro.
- Mix the sauce and serve!