Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
In ‘Williams-Sonoma: Picnics and Tailgates’
Make and share this Chinese Shredded Chicken Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 5 oz. each
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- sugar, a pinch
- Chinese hot mustard, a pinch
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 English cucumber, julienned
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 2 green onions, including tender green tops, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Place chicken in a sauté pan and add water to cover.
- Place over med-high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Decrease heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink in the center when cut into with a knife, 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool in the liquid.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, peanut butter, sugar, and mustard.
- Whisk to mix well.
- Slowly whisk in the oils until incorporated.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Place the sesame seeds in a frying pan over high heat; toast, shaking the pan, until light brown, about 2 minutes.
- Immediately remove the pan.
- Drain the chicken; shred by tearing the meat into long, thin pieces.
- In a transportable bowl, combine the chicken, cucumber, carrots, green onions, and 1 T of the cilantro.
- Pour over the dressing and mix well.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Garnish with the sesame seeds and the remaining 1 T cilantro.
- Cover and keep chilled until ready to serve.