Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
My mom used to make this recipe all of the time! I took it to one of our company potlucks, and it was gone in no time.
- 1 head napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 packages ramen noodles, crunched (Discard Flavor Packets)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Combine Cabbage and Onions.
- Refrigerate until ready to toss.
- Brown Noodles, almonds and Sesame Seeds lightly in Butter.
- Set aside.
- Bring to a boil in a pan the vinegar, oil, sugar and soy sauce, just enough to dissolve the sugar.
- Cool dressing completely.
- Combine all ingredients and toss just before serving.
I took this salad to my office potluck today and received several positive comments. People enjoyed the mix of textures. I did add about one tablespoon of sesame oil, which made the flavour more distinctive. When I make it again, I will look for ways to reduce the fat content.
I was looking for something fresh and green, and thought I try this. I didn't know what to expect before the first bite, but the more we ate this, the better we liked it! Nutty, crunchy and nice. I'll definitely make this again.
This is very delicious, and unlike anything I usually make. I want to add that it's easy to crush the ramen noodles if you put them in a ziploc bag first. Then beat on them with something, like a large spoon or a mallet.