Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I adapted this recipe from a recipe from the following site: http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/GeneralTsaosChicken.asp
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup hot chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon msg (MSG) (optional)
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 16 chili peppers, sun-dried
- To Make Sauce: In a large bowl combine 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup water.
- Mix together.
- Add garlic, ginger, sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce and white wine vinegar.
- Then add chicken broth and monosodium glutamate and stir all together until sugar dissolves.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- To Prepare Chicken: In a separate bowl, combine chicken, 1/2 cup soy sauce and white pepper.
- Stir in egg.
- Add 1 cup cornstarch and stir until chicken is evenly coated.
- Add oil to help separate chicken pieces.
- Divide chicken into small quantities and deep fry at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until crispy.
- Drain on paper towels.
- To Make Mixture: Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot.
- Add scallions and dried chile peppers and stir-fry briefly.
- Remove sauce from refrigerator and stir.
- Add sauce to wok.
- Then add fried chicken and cook until sauce thickens (add cornstarch or water as needed until sauce is as thick as you like it).