Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is traditionally made around December 22 of every year.
- 1 gallon chicken broth
- 1⁄2 gallon water
- 1⁄8 cup shrimp, dry
- 4 pork sausage, Chinese, slice
- 1 lb pork, slice
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined and shell
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 dried black mushrooms, soak and remove stems and slice into 1/4 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons turnips, Chinese dried (choan choy)
- 3 lbs glutinous-rice flour, Mochiko brand
- 4 cups water
- green onion, sliced
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- In a large stockpot add in the chicken broth and water brings to a boil.
- In a saucepan sauté the shrimps, sausage and pork pour into the stock pot and pour into the stock pot.
- In a very hot saucepan add oil and sauté the salted shrimps and when pink pour into the stock pot and pour into the stock pot.
- In the hot broth combine the shrimp, sausage, and mushroom simmer for 10 minutes and add in the sauté shrimps and combine. Using a bamboo strainer removes the mixture and some of the broth into a warm pot and keeps warm. Add in the turnip and blend together and add salt if needed.
- In a large mixing bowl add rice flour and slowly add in the water to combine. Roll into 1” balls and place onto a sheet pan. After all of the mixture is done; drop the finish the rice balls into the hot broth and when the rice balls is floating it done. Add in the shrimp mixture back into the pot and combine and into serving bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into the bowl and garnish with green onion and parsley. Let each quest season with sesame oil and soy sauce.