Recipe by archimageiros
Healthier than wok-fried noodles, these are microwaved and full of flavor. Very delicious and reminescent of the fried rice-noodle dish at our local Chinese restaruant. I used reduced-sodium soy sauce and it turned out really well. Designed to be a vegan recipe, but for non-vegans, a dash of worcestershire sauce is a nice touch. Also, if you are making this gluten-free, be sure the bottled sauces don't contain wheat products unless you know you can tolerate them.
- 1 (10 ounce) package rice vermicelli
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, fresh
- 4 green onions
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 1 carrot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup bottled sweet and sour sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch cajun seasoning
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 5 or more cups water in microwave until boiling (about 8 minutes in a 600-watt microwave). Remove from microwave; add vermicelli to water. Allow to soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Juliennne or thinly slice green onions, carrot, and garlic. Place in microwave-safe bowl and toss with sliced mushrooms and water chestnuts. Microwave for 7-9 minutes on high, until tender.
- Pour some (not all) of the mushroom juice off and add sauces and seasonings to vegetable mixture.
- Return rice noodles to microwave, and cook on high about 7 minutes.
- Toss with vegetable mixture and serve!