Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is not a pudding, nor is it Chinese. My mother got it from a Cuban woman while we were living in Virginia Beach. It was a staple growing up in our house, and only after I grew up did I realize that it was not a widely known recipe. Very simple & inexpensive to make, even my three year old loves it. Serve with buttered bread or hot rolls & a salad and it is a quick, hearty, hot dinner that will leave your family satisfied. And it's a great way to use up any leftover mashed potatoes.
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef
- 14 ounces creamed corn
- 3 -4 cups mashed potatoes (can make your own, use instant or buy a package of prepared mashed potatoes.)
- 1 tablespoon butter, to top
- margarine, to top
- If you're making mashed potatoes from scratch, make enough to have 3 or4 Cups of the finished product. They can be placed on the casserole hot, no need to cool first.
- Cover the bottom of a 2 qt casserole dish with an even layer of the corned beef.
- Spoon the entire can of creamed corn over top of the corned beef.
- Gently spoon the mashed potatoes over the layer of creamed corn, making sure to cover all of it. Place the butter of margarine over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees until the creamed corn bubbles at the edges of the potatoes (usually about 30 minutes). At this point I take the lid off & let it continue baking for a few minutes, just enough to get a few golden brown edges on the potatoes.
- Let stand for a few minutes & serve with bread & salad.
Yum. This is a wonderful dish that can stand alone as a meal. It fills you up without feeling too heavy, and it is absolutely delicious -- especially on a rainy day :) My boyfriend loves it, and says, "Oh! You made the stuff!" He always asks if he can have more. Thanks!