Prep 8 mins
Cook 5 mins
What a way to start the days. These are absolutly magnificant. Once you have cooked these for yourself you will have to cook them for your friends.What a way to start the days. These are absolutely magnificent. Once you have cooked these for yourself you will have to cook them for your friends.
- 500 g king prawns
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 4 slices bread (thick slices)
- 1 hard egg yolk
- 1 slice ham
- 1 shallot
- oil (for deep frying)
- Shell the prawns; leave the tail intact (devein if you wish to).
- Cut down the middle of the tail (about half way through) and flatten. The idea is so they can sit flat but not too high on the bread).
- Combine lightly beaten egg with cornflour, salt and pepper.
- Coat the prawns with this egg/cornflour combination.
- Remove crusts from bread.
- Cut slices in half.
- Put one prawn on each piece of the bread making sure the prawn is pretty flat.
- Gently rub left over egg/cornflour mix over prawn with fingers.
- Dice the ham, shallot and boiled yolk.
- Place one piece of diced ham, shallot and yolk in a line down the middle of the prawn.
- Deep fry the prawns in oil for about 2 minutes or until they are nice and golden.
- Drain well.