From TOH's facebook page promoting Easy recipes from the NEW Taste of Home Cooking School Cookbook: Chinese Pork Ribs uses a slow cooker to “cheat-it” instead of ordering take-out Recommended by June Ross of Belmont, North Carolina. -- Originally published as Chinese Pork Ribs in Quick Cooking September/October 2002, p49
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil (for browning) (optional)
- 3 lbs bone-in country-style pork ribs
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup orange marmalade or 1⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 2 -3 dashes cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh gingerroot (minced) (optional)
- For added flavor and richer color, If time permits, brown ribs in a medium-hot pan in about 1 1/2 tablespoons oil before crocking!
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, marmalade, red pepper flakes, ketchup garlic, and minced ginger. Pour half into a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with ribs; drizzle with remaining sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Thicken cooking juices if desired, and serve over rice.
- Serves 4.