Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Chinese Plum Sauce Serve this with egg rolls or brush it over chicken and ribs on the grill.
- 8 cups plums, pitted, Halved (3 lb/1.5 kg)
- 1 cup onion, Chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, Minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar or 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coriander, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- In large heavy saucepan, bring plums, onions, water, ginger and garlic to boil over medium heat; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until plums and onions are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Press through food mill or sieve and return to clean pan; stir in sugar, vinegar, coriander, salt, cinnamon, pepper and cloves.
- Bring to boil, stirring; reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture reaches consistency of applesauce, about 45 minutes.
- Fill and seal jars; process in boiling water bath for 30 minutes.
- Makes about 4 cups
This is a 5 star sauce.
Great sauce and easy to make. Thumbs up from all my family members.
I thought the plum sauce was a bit too vinegary, next time I will use less. Other then that the final result was good.