Recipe by robd16
This is sure to satisfy all your cravings for Chinese food, it's a great recipe. Be brave with the ginger, it mellows out as it cooks and is helped along by the sweetness of the dish. The cashew nuts are optional but I am yet to make it without them as I love their crunchy texture and creamy taste. Be sure to serve it with plenty of white fluffy rice. Quicker than waiting for takeout. UPDATE - I HAVE DECREASED THE AMOUNT OF WATER USED IN THE SAUCE FROM 1/2PT TO 1/4 PINT BUT I FIND IT DOES TEND TO GET A BIT TOO THICK AND NEEDS A DROP OR 2 MORE. USE YOUR SENSES, IF YOU THINK IT NEEDS IT THEN ADD IT! ADDING FROZEN VEGGIES WILL WATER THE SAUCE DOWN CONSIDERABLY. THIS PARTICULAR RECIPE DOES NOT ADHERE MUCH TO TWEAKING AND I SUGGEST YOU TRY IT AS STATED BELOW FIRST. THANK YOU
Top Review by Muise4
This is awesome. It really tastes like it came from a chinese restaurant. I could not find golden syrup so used pure maple syrup. I would love more of these recipes rob16. Thank you.
- 3 large chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 100 g roasted cashew nuts (optional)
- 8 -12 spring onions, chopped (scallions)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (7 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice (small size can)
- gingerroot, peeled and chopped finely (2-3 inch chunk)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine (can use dry sherry)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1⁄4 pint water (plus a little more if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- First of all make the sauce. Combine everything, mix well until smooth and set aside.
- Fry the chicken in the oil with the onion and ginger for 5 minutes over a medium high heat.
- Add the green pepper and the pineapple chunks and fry for another 5 minutes adding half of the spring onions after 2 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic and the cashew nuts, fry for 2 minutes then pour over the sauce and bring to the boil.
- After a minute or 2, the sauce should thicken and stick to the chicken. It it looks too thick, add some water, little by little until desired consistency is acheived.
- Utterly Delicious.