Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this in my 1000 Recipe Chinese Cookbook. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds very interesting and looks easy enough to try. Note: Time does not include overnight chilling.
- Discard tough outer leaves and core of cabbage. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and salt.
- Heat 2 Tblsp. oil. Add cabbage and stir-fry until translucent but still crisp (about 3 minutes). Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 Tblsp. oil. Add brown sugar-soy mixture and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Then pour over cabbage and toss.
- Transfer to tightly covered container and refrigerate overnight.
- Variations: For the white cabbage, substitute red cabbage. For the wine vinegar, substitute cider vinegar.
- In step 2, add 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes.