Recipe by CJAY
I found this in my 1000 Recipe Chinese Cookbook. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds very interesting and looks easy enough to try. Note: Time does not include overnight chilling.
Top Review by Dee S.
Thank you CJay! I love this cookbook (though mine is gone) and I have been looking for this recipe. I have made it many times and it is an easy, yummy side dish (or buy itself if you are dieting).
- 2 lbs round white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Discard tough outer leaves and core of cabbage. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and salt.
- Heat 2 Tblsp. oil. Add cabbage and stir-fry until translucent but still crisp (about 3 minutes). Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 Tblsp. oil. Add brown sugar-soy mixture and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Then pour over cabbage and toss.
- Transfer to tightly covered container and refrigerate overnight.
- Variations: For the white cabbage, substitute red cabbage. For the wine vinegar, substitute cider vinegar.
- In step 2, add 1/2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes.