Chinese Pepper Steak Coca-cola
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs top round steaks or 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin steaks, boneless
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup beef broth, canned and undiluted (bouillon)
- 1 cup green bell pepper, cored,seeded,and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup Coca-Cola
- 2 medium tomatoes, ripe
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup Coca-Cola
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- rice, cooked and hot
- Trim all fat from the meat and cut into pencil-thin strips.
- In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil, garlic, and salt.
- Add the meat and brown over high heat, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork.
- Add the beef broth.
- Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the meat is fork-tender.
- Stir in the green pepper strips, celery, onions, and 1/2 cup of Coca-Cola.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Do not overcooked; the vegetables should be tender-crisp.
- Peel the tomatoes, cut into wedges, gently stir into meat.
- Blend cornstarch with the 1/4 cup of Coca-Cola and the soy sauce.
- Stir mixture into the meat and cook until sauce is thickens, about 1 minute, stirring lightly with a fork.
- Serve over hot rice.
- Makes 6 (3/4 cup) servings.