Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Chinese pea pods with beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef roast or 1 1⁄2 lbs steak, sliced thin on the diagonal
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided (reduced sodium)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 carrots, sliced thin on the diagonal
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 ounce Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 lb fresh pea pods or 1 lb snow peas
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil or 1⁄4 cup sesame oil, divided
- Mix 2 Tb. soy sauce, fresh ginger and garlic. Toss sliced beef to coat and allow to marinate 1 hour.
- In large skillet or wok, heat 2 Tb. oil until hot. Brown meat, and remove to drain.
- Heat remaining 2 Tb. oil in pan until hot. Add carrots and stir fry 2 minutes. Add in onions and stir fry an additional 2 minutes. Add in mushrooms and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add in snow peas or pea pods, onion soup mix, and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup water, cornstarch, and remaining 2 Tb. soy sauce. Stir into beef and vegetable mixture, and stir constantly until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in reserved meat and serve over chow mein or yakisoba noodles, or steamed or fried rice.