Recipe by bakesimple.com
Since it is the beginning of the Chinese New Year tomorrow, I figured the almond cookie would be a great treat for the occasion. In my search for the perfect recipe, I stumbled upon an article written a couple years back in the San Francisco Chronicle. The author dismisses the use of the obligatory, whole almond (usually found in the center of the cookie) and instead provides a new twist. Using a mixture of Chinese five-spice powder, brown sugar, and crushed almonds, her recipe provides a nice topping that gives a kick with both sweet and spicy flavors. View the full recipe at http://www.bakesimple.com/cookies/chinese-almond-cookies/
Top Review by Chefwendel
These were good cookies. I kind of omitted the last step and brushed cookies with an egg wash and pushed sliced almonds on top before I baked them. They were a hit at my cooking club dinner which of course was themed Chinese New Year.
- 591.47 ml flour
- 4.92 ml cream of tartar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 354.88 ml granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2.46 ml almond extract
- 1 egg, beaten (egg wash)
- 118.29 ml chopped almonds
- 14.79 ml five-spice powder
- 59.14 ml dark brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, salt and baking soda.
- Cream together the butter and sugar with a hand mixer. Blend in the beaten egg and almond extract. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix until the dough takes on a flaky, moist consistency. Gather the crumbly mixture together using your hands or a spatula.
- To make the topping, chop up the almonds (most easily done by hitting a few times with a mallet) and combine in a small bowl with the five-spice powder and brown sugar.
- To form the cookies, roll dough into 1 1/2-inch diameter balls between the palms of your hands. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten to about 1/2-inch thickness, lightly brush top with the egg wash and generously sprinkle with the topping. Bake for 11-12 minutes.