Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is from my MIL's recipe box. It's a childhood fave of my hubby's. The "mystery" is that all the liquid required cooks down to make a delicious casserole.
- 2 tablespoons oil (optional)
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can chop suey vegetables, drained
- 1 (5 ounce) can chow mein noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Brown ground beef and onion in oil.
- Combine all ingredients in a huge bowl, and transfer to a 9x13 pan.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Bake UNcovered for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chow mein noodles on top of casserole, and bake for 15 minutes more.
We really enjoyed this. Where we live we only have Walmart & Safeway and neither store carries canned chop suey vege's. I had to improvise and use frozen stir-fry vege's, with great success. My kids loved the chow mein noodles. Thanks Mrs. Jones!
We really enjoyed this casserole dish, Missus Jones! I only used the cream of mushroom (1 can) and it worked out fine. I omitted the celery but there was plenty of crunch with the canned veggies. I used Minute Rice and just baked it covered in the oven for 20 minutes (since the gang was hungry). Thanks to you and your Mother in law for posting! Roxygirl Roxygirl
I made this last night. Read the instruction wrong, I did not cover it the first half hour so I just left it uncovered the whole time. It came out great any way. I thought that my husband was going to finish the whole thing!! Will definately make this again, thanks for a sharing Missus Jones.