3 hrs 15 mins
I could eat this dish four times a week - the texture is so silky and I love the savory flavors. The poaching and steeping technique used in this recipe is perfect for cooking chicken, as it is very gentle; the integrity of the chicken is preserved, and the result is moist, tender flesh. The heating of the peanut oil is vital to release its beautiful, nutty flavor and bring out the aroma of the soy and ginger.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 roasting chicken
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons scallions, finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
white master stock
- 1Place all stock ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 40 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse.
- 2Meanwhile, rinse chicken under cold water. Trim away excess fat from inside and outside cavity, but keep neck, parson's nose and winglets intact.
- 3Lower chicken, breast-side down, into simmering stock, ensuring it is fully submerged with a plaqte on top to hold it down. Poach chicken gently for exactly 14 minutes. There should be no more than an occasional ripple breaking the surface; adjust the temperature, if necessary, to ensure stock does not reach simmering point again.
- 4Remove stockpot immediately from the stove and allow chicken to steep in the stock for 3 hours at room temperature to complete the cooking process. Using tongs, gently remove chicken from the stock, being careful not to tear the breast skin. Place chicken on a tray to drain and allow to cool.
- 5To make the dressing, combine the ingredients in a bowl. With a large knife or cleaver, cut up the chicken Chinese, arrange on a platter and drizzle over the dressing.
- 6In a small pot, heat peanut oil until it reaches smoking point, then slowly and carefully pour the oil over the chicken. Garnish with spring onions and Sichuan pepper and salt. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Mouth Watering Chicken With Soy and Ginger Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (1187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.9
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 9550.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 14.5 g