Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Great summer soup. It sounds really weird, but it's so good. DH says absolutely not to leave out the watermelon because it really adds to the flavor of the broth (even though you put it in at the very end) and the broth is really fantastic.
- 3 cups watermelon balls or 1 small watermelon
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup canned bamboo shoot (2.3 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 ounces smoked ham, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked turkey or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 3 slices gingerroot (about the size of a dime)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup toasted almond, shredded
- For fancy presentation - remove top of melon.
- Scoop out melon and seeds, reserving 3 cups melon balls.
- Scallop edge of melon.
- In a large pan, heat stock, bamboo, mushrooms, ham, chicken, ginger, sugar, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, half cover the pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Just before serving add reserved melon balls and pour soup into the melon shell.
- Sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately.