Great summer soup. It sounds really weird, but it's so good. DH says absolutely not to leave out the watermelon because it really adds to the flavor of the broth (even though you put it in at the very end) and the broth is really fantastic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups watermelon balls or 1 small watermelon
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup canned bamboo shoot (2.3 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 ounces smoked ham, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey or 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 3 slices gingerroot (about the size of a dime)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted almond, shredded
- 1For fancy presentation - remove top of melon.
- 2Scoop out melon and seeds, reserving 3 cups melon balls.
- 3Scallop edge of melon.
- 4In a large pan, heat stock, bamboo, mushrooms, ham, chicken, ginger, sugar, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce the heat to low, half cover the pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- 6Just before serving add reserved melon balls and pour soup into the melon shell.
- 7Sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chinese Melon Soup (Dong Gwah Jong)
Serving Size: 1 (411 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.1
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 62.9 mg
- Sodium 861.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 34.4 g